BECOME A MEMBER OF MONUMENTA       
URBAN SPACE + URBAN GREEN SPACE
ΑΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΧΩΡΟΣ + ΑΣΤΙΚΟ ΠΡΑΣΙΝΟ
ΑΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΧΩΡΟΣ + ΑΣΤΙΚΟ ΠΡΕΣΙΝΟ / URBAN SPACE + URBAN GREEN SPACE Η ΔΥΝΑΜΗ ΤΟΥ ΝΕΡΟΥ / THE POWER OF WATER ΒΙΟΠΟΙΚΙΛΟΤΗΤΑ / ΔΙΑΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΜΙΚΟΤΗΤΑ
BIODIVERSITY / INTERCULTURALISM ΒΙΟΜΗΧΑΝΙΚΑ ΚΑΤΑΛΟΙΠΑ / INDUSTRIAL REMNANTS ΜΕΤΑΦΟΡΕΣ / TRANSPORTATIONS ΤΟΠΙΟ / LANDSCAPE    
   
 
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
PRINT [-]Α[+]
The magazine Fragkelio and the building located at 21, Navarchou Nikodimou Street
Venia Pastaka,Art Historian

From the building located at Navarchou Nikodimou Street, was published in the late 20’s a magazine which meant to upset the spiritual and political circles of Greece. At the same time, on the ground floor of that building, was founded the first modern art gallery in Athens, in which first exhibited their work, the famous group of the Generation of the ’30’s.

Athens Gardens between the two World Wars (1914-1940)
Maria Daniil, architect

Between the two World Wars, the Government and the Municipality of Athens implemented an extended program of planting and equipment of communal spaces. The new gardens aim at the creation of an area with multiple functions for walking, recreation, exercise and social gatherings. With the augmentation in the city's inhabitants, many communal spaces were no longer qualified as protected, while various uses were attributed to the remaining ones.

Athens Gardens during the period of the king George I (1834-1862)
Maria Daniil, architect

At the time of George I, the new green spaces created in the city of Athens were realized through the effective action of the Forestry Association (1899), the Law 'on afforestation' (1900) and the contribution of the City of Athens, through the enrichment of municipal gardens, squares and rows of trees. The new public gardens pertain to important public buildings.

Ceramic decoration in the buildings of the National Bank during the Interwar period
Lila Theodoridou-Sotiriou, architect

During the Interwar period the National Bank decorated some of its buildings using ceramic tiles. These buildings were built under the supervisor of the architect Nikolaos Zoumpoulidis.

The tower houses of Serres Prefecture, an interpretive approach. The case of A. Zacharopoulos residence.
Kalliope Kalokyre, architect
Athens Gardens during the period of the king Othon (1834-1862)
Maria Daniil, architect

From the 18th c. and the domination of Enlightenment and Romanticism, green spaces are considered the solution for the hygiene and aesthetic problems that cities were faced with - various communal areas are created, extensive planting takes place and new functions for rest and recreation are introduced.  In this context Athens, as the capital of the newly formed Hellenic state, gradually and difficultly acquired a limited number of green spaces, which were however to decisively form its physiognomy.

The church of Agia Paraskevi. Chalkida
Christina Athanasiou, cultural research management

The great, three-nave, with wooden roof basilica of Agia Paraskevi is the oldest surviving monument of the medieval history of Chalcis. It was erected at the citys’ limits in the early Christian period, the 5th century AD. The conquerors Franks and Ottomans, the Neoclassicism and Enceladus, left indelible "signs on the 1500 years old church, which stands and services are still conducted.

Stoa Modiano. Conservation and enhancement.
Andreas Vlastaris, Giorgos Kakes, Photis Karagiorgos, Niki Koroni, Katerina Mpoli, Katerina Stamatopoulou, Magdalini Chatzi

The study: “Stoa Modiano. Conservation and enhancement” which was made to protect the monument is attempted to search the history of the monument, to analyze its architecture and engineering structure, to recognize the historical context and the conditions that contributed to its birth, to investigate the coexistence with the environment and its reintegration into the life of the city.

The home of poet Nicholas Calas at the village of Chrousa on Syros (Cyclades)
Maria Thiresia-Daleziou, art historian

The Central Council of Contemporary Monuments determined the classification of the Calas estate on Syros as a historically preservable monument, in October 2008. This is the first step towards its salvation and it is a matter of urgency that the Ministry of Culture, as well as the local Municipality, take further steps for its rehabilitation.

A cosmopolitan block of flats in Ilisia
Panayotis Tournikiotis, assistant professor at the School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens

The block of flats at Papadiamantopoulou Street, in Ilisia, is an exceptional sample of modern mid-war architecture, a cosmopolitan building with a warm Mediterranean colour that gives character and style in the urban environment of its neighborhood.

Soap Factory Patouni, an unknown monument in the city of Corfu
MOnuMENTA

In the urban environment of Corfu, at the centre of the old industrial city, an authen-tic item of the industrial past is preserved. The historic Patounis Soap Factory, that reached its peak in the former century, is still running nowadays in a building (built in 1891) intended to be the branch-store of the Bazakis-Patounis brand.

The magical microcosm of the Lycabettus hill through
the eyes of Antonis Zois
Eleni Papathoma, historian-ethnologist

Antonis Zois’ collection numbers thousands of pictures of self-sawn plants; he has spotted most of them while walking about the Skisti Petra and the Lycabettus hill, the “mountain of the lotus-eaters”, as he prefers to call it... Fortunately, the Lycabettus hill has not yet been built all the way to its top. The rich world living and growing on its earth and rocks may be threatened not only by the construction of buildings but also, sometimes, by the so-called “aesthetic interventions and rehabilitation”. Yet, this world does not ask for care, just for space. Let’s leave it some. We need it. After all, our feet need to be able to step directly on earth...

NEXT ISSUE
02 THE POWER OF WATER
Η ΔΥΝΑΜΗ ΤΟΥ ΝΕΡΟΥ