April 18th, the day that was endorsed as The International Day for Monuments and Sites by UNESCO, one cannot fail to say that the issues of protection are still plenty and pending for our action ... and when nature is not to blame as in the recent case of the earthquake in the italian town of L'Aquila, man is...
In Greece and Cyprus, although we constantly draw prestige and substance from our cultural heritage, we never stop to degrade and trivialize its significance in the altar of modern development. Fortunately, not all of us. In every neighborhood, every town and every province there is always a core of people who will slow down their pace, disrupt the rhythm of their everyday life, give priority to the monument, both the great and the most modest. So that it doesn't fall to oblivion but remains in THE Memory, the "childhood" of a society that's always coming to age ...
On the occasion of the International Day of Monuments and Sites, MOnuMENTA wishes to remind you of its actions, invites you to join with us and prompt others to join the effort of protecting whatever is worth being saved!
• For the buildings in Makrygianni and Chatzichristou Str., Ravine Str. and Paster Str. that are still standing, awaiting for their future existence the final decisions of the Council of State which we hope to be among the lines of the decisions that suspended their demolishion permits.
• For the 401 former military hospital that is waiting for your vote to persuade those responsible for its declaration as a preservable monument
• For the Park in Pagrati waiting the cancellation of the the annulment of the act of the municipal council so that the street plan is not amended, and therefore there is no attempt to modify, alter or change the use of its forest character.
• For the 8 monuments of Naxos that are still fighting time and weathering and for which you can address the Minister of Culture and contribute to their rescue, and finally...
• For cinema ASTRON in Ampeloki area, that could have the misfortune of so many other magical places in Athens, and for which your signature can help in order to be declared as preservable monument.
There are two major streams to the theme of Heritage and Science that has been chosen for International Day for Monuments and Sites 2009: one being the role that science (and the scientific process) has played in the creation of heritage, and the other being the contribution that science (and technology) offers to the study of heritage. The bulk of the World’s tangible heritage, excluding perhaps completely natural landscapes, is the result of this practical application of knowledge.